“House District 46 ranks as one of the most diverse in Ohio, from the proud farming communities in Jerusalem Township and Springfield Township, to the strong industrial base in Oregon, to the wonderful and dense residential areas in Toledo, as well as the historic and successful commercial areas in Maumee. I pledge to represent the interests of House District 46 to the best of my ability in The Ohio House of Representatives.”
- Matt Szollosi
- Protecting Middle-Class Ohioans
- Restoring Fiscal Responsibility
- Investing in Education
- Working to Create Jobs Now
Protecting Middle-Class Ohioans During a Tough Economy
Republicans rejected numerous efforts to protect hard-working Ohioans while House Democrats…
- Fought to protect families from losing their homes as a result of the national foreclosure crisis.
- Safeguarded renters who paid their rent but faced foreclosure because their landlord didn’t.
- Expanded the use of land banks to help our cities deal with the foreclosure crisis.
- Supported efforts to limit unscrupulous credit card marketing to teens and young adults.
- Protected basic and optional Medicaid services for those hard-hit by the tough economy.
- Funded critical services like food banks and county adult/child protective services.
- Extended healthcare coverage for those utilizing COBRA benefits for workers.
- Protected the jobs and care provided by Ohio’s hospitals by leveraging federal resources.
- Made health care more accessible and affordable by bringing down costs for open enrollment.
- Expanded Open Enrollment and limited the cost for someone with a pre-existing condition.
- Supported the Unified Long-Term Care budget to allow for in-home care options for seniors.
- Stood up against insurance companies to secure coverage for families coping with Autism and Diabetes.
- Fought for adequate pay and benefits for firefighters by allowing them to bargain collectively.
- Protected Ohioans from discrimination based on their sexual orientation, gender identity or because they were a victim of domestic violence.
Restoring Fiscal Responsibility and Government Accountability
Republicans opposed efforts to shrink government and reduce spending while House Democrats…
- Put forth a fiscally responsible budget that cut spending, reduced the size of state government and protected critical services for those hard hit by the tough national economy.
- Delivered a balanced budget that kept taxes low and maintained our commitments to education and job creation.
- Increased transparency by creating a website that includes the budget for all Ohioans to access.
- Decreased spending by -3.7 percent compared to average increases of 9.7 percent each budget from 1992 to 2006, when the GOP controlled Ohio government.
- Worked to comprehensively reform Ohio’s election laws to ensure our elections are fair, open and accountable.
Investing in Education to Strengthen Our Economy for Tomorrow
Republicans fought against needed reforms and funding to Ohio’s schools while House Democrats…
- Capped tuition increases at 3.5 percent for Ohio’s public colleges and universities.
- Comprehensively reformed Ohio’s schools to prepare our children for a 21st century economy.
- Identified elements of a top-notch education and directed funding to the school districts that needed it most.
- Replaced a broken school-funding system with an evidence-based funding model.
- Improved accountability for school districts and enhanced training for teachers.
- Instituted transformative new ways to train Ohio’s teachers.
- Adopted distance learning tools to give every child the chance for high-quality classes.
Working to Create Jobs Now
Republicans continually opposed efforts to create jobs for Ohioans while House Democrats…
- Quickly invested federal dollars into Ohio’s economy to create jobs and strengthen our infrastructure.
- Expanded the Venture Capital Fund to encourage investment for new businesses.
- Funded Rapid Outreach Grants for Ohio business development.
- Created the New Markets Tax Credit to bring business and jobs to low income areas.
- Established a Film Tax Credit to bring a new expanding industry to Ohio.
- Developed the Sporting Events Incentive to bring events and jobs to Ohio.
- Established the Technology Investment Tax Credit to create high-tech jobs for Ohioans.
- Expanded the Job Creation and Job Retention Tax Credit to keep and create Ohio jobs and businesses.
- Renewed the Ohio Loan Fund to bolster construction jobs and projects.
- Created Ohio Energy Resource Center to provide 21st-century research and tools for the new economy.
- Passed regulatory reform to foster job creation by helping Ohio businesses thrive.
- Modernized Ohio’s telecommunications laws to help position Ohio for key infrastructure investments.
- Supported energy efficient standards for state buildings to conserve energy and encourage green jobs.
- Helped veterans find job opportunities by streamlining certain training and placement requirements.